COVID-19 makes appearance in Hardin County Schools

Director of Schools Michael Davis said Monday morning that one teacher and one teacher’s aide who also works as a bus driver have tested positive for COVID-19.
The teacher at West Hardin Elementary School tested positive Thursday after being at the school for two days last week. The West Hardin case has not resulted in any further quarantines, as the teacher reportedly did not have students while at school and did not interact closely with any other teachers for a lengthy period of time.
Davis said the bus driver also serves as a teacher’s aide at Hardin County Middle School. The HCMS case has resulted in two other support staff and four students quarantining at home as a precaution.
He said that to his knowledge neither the students or support staff have tested positive for COVID-19, but are staying home as guidelines suggest to ensure the safety of others.
“I know many – parents and families of students, teachers, bus drivers, and other staff in our schools – are concerned for the health and safety of their loved ones, and they don’t want to be kept in the dark. I can’t identify individual classrooms or individuals who test positive, but I’ve said from the beginning I would be transparent so people can know we’re doing things the right way, and they can be informed and make the best choices for their families,” Davis said.
Today is the is the first full day of school for all students attending Hardin County Schools. Students began attending on a staggered schedule last week.

7 Comments

1. Carol jordan on August 10, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Why on earth are y’all even having school!! This is crazy!

• Alice Scroggins on August 10, 2020 at 5:06 pm

The schools were ordered to open by the president and his administration. The penalty for not opening was a threatened withdrawal of federal funding. Hopefully, our children will eventually be able to attend school again in the near future without fear of a such deadly and extremely contagious disease like Covid19. When that happens we all will want that federal funding for our children. Meanwhile, the government is willing to sacrifice the health and lives of the students , families and all school staff just to say that they reopened schools under the Trump administration at voting time. I fully expect that this political move will prove to be a huge ‘fail’ and further sicken even more U.S. citizens.

• Lisa on August 11, 2020 at 2:58 pm

I could not have said it any better than this! I’m baffled how the president can choose between the children of this nation, our future and himself for another 4 yrs in office. Blows me away! I know our gov has its good and bad but that is worse than than worse! Rips my heart out every time I think of the choices trump & his admin have made for the worse of the people but all good for him and his agenda, wow. I have no words for what he says and does!

2. Shirley Southard on August 10, 2020 at 4:16 pm

This is ridiculous! Why are schools opening just as the virus is starting to hit our area?! …. sorry, but my grandkids will be homeschooling this year. My granddaughter has asthma, and I have COPD. That’s a death sentence for us if one of them were to bring it home.

3. Martha by,keep posting and where do we take assistance e on August 10, 2020 at 5:17 pm

While not good news it is important to our community to be informed.THank you Michael Davis for notification and Courier for rapid communicating.

4. Lisa on August 11, 2020 at 5:13 pm

Why would the president punish the school systems for trying to keep the student safe? Please someone answer this for me? How about teachers, school staff, bus drivers etc?

• Catlady5632 on August 14, 2020 at 8:16 am

How many people are going to vote for that stupid idiot TRUMP now. Cant you people see he cares for No one. All schools in the country are reopening but I heard some where that his sons school is not.