Hardin County sheriff warns residents to follow governor’s order to stay home or risk arrest

Johnny Alexander

Sheriff Johnny Alexander is cautioning Hardin County residents that violating the governor’s emergency stay at home executive order can lead to arrest.
In order to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, Tennesseans are now required by Gov. Bill Lee to stay home unless carrying out essential activities such as getting food.
Alexander said Friday a violator of the order is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and subject to a maximum jail sentence of up to 11 months and 29 days and a fine of up to $2,500.
He cited, however, Lee’s statement to law enforcement officials that they “utilize sound judgment, restraint and discretion to first educate and warn your local businesses and establishments in order to provide them all reasonable opportunity to comply. Enforcement measures should be used as a last and final option only if they become necessary due to a refusal to voluntarily comply after all other reasonable means have been exhausted.”
Alexander said the Hardin County Sheriff’s Department will “faithfully execute the orders we have been given by Gov. Lee.”
He noted that Lee is urging Tennesseans to limit even essential activities to the bare minimum.

For a list of “essential activities” in the governor’s order, click here: https://bit.ly/3aKYgUw

11 Comments

1. Teresa Thompson on April 3, 2020 at 12:47 pm

We have to buy household supplies,pet food and building materials. Our home was totalled in the flood last year and only way we have to repair it is do some every payday. And we still have long way to go before it gets cold again. We need the floors in so bad! Plywood floors and kids are hard to deal with.We have 3 children,2 are kinship through the State and 1 adult and 1 child with special needs. And we are struggling to get what we need because of no stock in stores. It seems busier now than before.

• Amanda on April 3, 2020 at 6:58 pm

I would think your needs fall under essentials. Just always practice good distancing when you have to go out for supplies. Some building supplies may be able to be delivered if your close enough to town. I think they are mainly trying to prevent recreational trips. We should be limiting our outings to essential trips and as few people going as possible.

2. Alfred on April 3, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Public Service Announcement. Riding in your car is covered as an “essential activity” for outdoor recreation under the mandated “stay at home” order. Enjoy

3. Williams on April 3, 2020 at 4:39 pm

I haven’t been out in 5 weeks. My quarantine started Mobile AL while I was visiting family. My daughter brought me home after 3 weeks and I’ve had 2 weeks here in quarantine. My husband and I had to get some supplies from Lowe’s and I did a pickup order. I was shocked to see how many people are out and in stores and restaurants. Until they make things mandatory these crazy people are not staying home. I’m still mad about it. I also do grocery pickups. People please don’t be stupid 😡😡😡

• Steve on April 4, 2020 at 8:40 am

I agree completely. One problem i have found is that there is minimal possibility of pickup. I have tried multiple time at walmart to do a pick up and there is never any time available within the week and the schedule will only go out for a week.

4. Wendy on April 3, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Our house burnt and we still have to go back and fourth everyday to feed animals

5. Tommy Yarbrough on April 4, 2020 at 8:34 am

I don’t get it. 2010. N1h1 infected 500000. Killed over 100000. Everything was chill. No shut down. No stay at home orders. No economic collapse, no stimulus nothing. Crickets. What are we not being told? The government, especially democrats have wanted to take away our freedom for decades. This seems like a test run to me. Are we as citizens going to have to do to our own government what we did to England in 1776?

• Lars on April 14, 2020 at 3:35 am

Test run for sure. But, it is worldwide… so unless the entire world leaders are in on something…

6. Mike on April 5, 2020 at 8:27 am

People need to wake up and look .
    That’s all I am saying need to pay attention on what’s going on behind the scenes!

7. James on April 8, 2020 at 3:51 am

Big brother doesn’t want you to get sick. You must “social distance.” Don’t gather with friends or family or we’ll arrest you and put you in a tiny room with hundreds of other people and take all your freedoms.

8. Mike on May 5, 2020 at 9:00 pm

This will test law enforcement across the country. Tough job but at the end of the day they will have to decide to follow orders or protect our rights under the constitution.