Skip to content

John Raymond Whitlow (9-1-18) service 9-5-18

John Raymond Whitlow, age 43, of Brentwood, Tennessee, formerly of Savannah, died Saturday, Sept. 1, at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. He suffered from repeat aspiration pneumonitis. This last episode, his fifth this year, was more than this tired body could withstand.
John Raymond was born Sept. 18, 1974, in Jackson Tennessee. He was the son of the late Eddie Keith Whitlow and Jerrie Nell Barnett-Whitlow of Savannah and Brentwood, Tennessee. His grandparents were the late Raymond and Margaret Florence Jerrolds Whitlow, of Savannah; and J.P. and Millie McDaniel Barnett, of Shiloh.
He is survived by his mother; his aunts, Sue Whitlow Williams (Dennis), Janey Whitlow Adams (John) and Ruth Robertson Whitlow (the late Jim); his uncle, Johnny Mack Barnett (Barbara); and numerous cousins. He is also survived by loving caregivers and friends who helped his mother meet his needs over the past 15 years.
John Raymond attended the Jackson Center for Enrichment and Development in Jackson, Tennessee, and North Elementary in Savannah. He graduated from Tennessee School for the Blind in Donelson, Tennessee, in 1997. He attended Hardin County Skills in Savannah when he was 18 and 19 years old. He was born with visual disabilities and other challenges, but was perfectly healthy until the death of his father in March 2002, when he developed double pneumonia and became septic. He faced health issues thereafter.
John Raymond loved life. He loved country music, particularly Jerry Reed, and bluegrass. He loved riding in his Cadillac and going to Sonic. He enjoyed sitting in his room in his rocking chair, kicking his foot in time to the music on 650 AM.
The family would like to thank all of his caregivers, as well as the many medical professionals who helped with his medical needs, especially Dr. James Powers, his wonderful primary care physician for 15 years, and Dr. Wes Ely, who attended him at his death.
Services were held on Wednesday, Sept. 5, at 1 p.m., at First United Methodist Church  in Savannah with Dr. David Miller officiating. Burial followed in Mt. Hermon Cemetery at Savannah.