Skip to content

Martha Sipes (3-15-18) service 3-18-18

Mrs. Martha Nell Sipes (née Carter), of Starkville, Mississippi, and Sardis, Tennessee, died on Thursday, March 15, surrounded by her family. She was 83 years old.
Martha is survived by her children, Steven Sipes and his wife Vickie of Sardis; Peggy Byrd of Savannah; Letha Calvert and her husband Steve of Siler City, North Carolina; as well her four granddaughters, Cindy McIntosh (Andrew), Heather Beecham, Denise Davis (Michael) and Holly Blankenship (Colt); and her eight great-grandchildren, Hallie, Drew, Weston, Anna, Oakley, Noah, Natalie and Emma. 
She was preceded in death by her beloved husband, Alford Sipes of Big Springs, Texas; her parents, Raymond and Maymie Carter of Sardis; and her grandson, Brandon Thomas Sipes.
Martha was born on Aug. 14, 1934, in Sardis, to Raymond and Maymie Carter. She was their only child. She spent her life growing up on her family’s farm in Tennessee until she met Alford and he swept her off her feet. They married on Nov. 27, 1954. Alford served in the U.S. Army.
From the very beginning, their life together was an adventure. Alford and Martha moved to Millington Naval Base in Memphis. They had their first child Steven there in 1955.  Alford and Martha moved to Staten Island, New York and then he got out of the Army.
Upon getting out of the military, Alford moved the family to Tennessee. There they had both of their daughters, Peggy and Letha,  in 1958 and 1959.  In 1966, Alford got a job with Garan in Starkville, Mississippi. Martha and Alford packed up the kids and moved to Starkville, where they raised their children and lived together until Alford’s passing in 1987.  Martha still has their house in Starkville and had her granddaughters over often as they were growing up. 
Martha has always been a huge Mississippi State fan. She was a fan of all sports they played there, and she often took her granddaughters to games on the campus. Martha attended church at Aldersgate Methodist in Starkville, Mississippi and Saltillo Baptist in Saltillo. 
Martha passed away peacefully in Lexington Health Care and Rehabilitation after a stroke that she endured late last year.  She will be remembered for her witty jokes and love for her family. 
Services were held on Sunday, March 18, at 3:30 p.m., at Saltillo First Baptist Church in Saltillo with Tommy Crawford officiating. Burial followed in Memory Gardens at Savannah.

Leave a Comment